Thursday, December 08, 2005

Twenty-Five Years Later : We Still Need to Give Peace a Chance

Twenty-five years have gone by since the death of John Lennon. It is hard to believe, and yet so much has happened since then in the world. I wonder what he would think of us now? I was a teenager at the time of his death. While the Beatles were the voice of the generation that came before mine, my generation still very much idolized John, Paul, George and Ringo. John Lennon was more than just a musician--he was a leader, trying to lead us all to peace. His murder was therefore especially poignant. It has, however, raised him to mythical status in a way that has affected the hearts and minds of many people in our culture. A chill runs down my spine every time I visit Strawberry Fields, a spot in New York City's Central Park dedicated to his memory. Definitely a place for quiet contemplation and communing with humanity.

No comments: