Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Presentation to OALT/ABO: The Wonderful World of Social Networking Tools

Last week I had the privilege of speaking at the annual conference of the Ontario Association of Library Technicians (OALT/ABO). My presentation slides are below, with a few changes I made following our discussion.

What these do not capture is the lively discussion of the group, talking about how their children and grandchildren are using the networks, and whether we have a realistic or overly restricted view of the web. I was pleased at how many different issues we covered and the range of viewpoints in the room that allowed for a great exploration of ideas.

Note this presentation covered somewhat different ground than I do in the course I teach for FIS PLC. Our focus was more on the social network platforms, including those used by children and teens. We didn't talk about blogs, wikis and RSS that make up the core of my FIS PLC class. I quite enjoyed covering different ground in this talk!

No comments: