Issues currently of concern with intranets:
- archiving information (what is being archived, how it is being archived, and what is deleted)
- providing better access to precedents
- information is too static (not being updated frequently enough)
- intranet is not being used
- making the site bilingual for some firms
- governance issues - who "owns" the intranet
- usage measurement, and what to do with the usage stats that people are collecting
- connectivity between content management system and the document management system
- connectivity between the intranet and the document management system
- addition of news feeds
- adding content (especially dynamic content)
- incorporating RSS feeds
- use of wikis
- has the intranet had its time and will federated search replace the need?
- evolving into a self-service model, for example folksonomies (tagging) rather than taxonomies
- Microsoft has a lot of tools for "on the fly" collaborative work spaces that would promote the self-service model
- who are content publishers?
- what is the workflow and process in each organization?
- what do you archive, and what do you delete?
- training issues
- which firms have web developers or coders on staff? Are there issues around this?
- how people use the intranet?
- how are people using blogs and wikis?
- how to push information to people without email
- delivering content via RSS feeds
- issues around providing service to multiple offices
- how people use intranets for current awareness service
Wow! I wish I was in Toronto! No chance of putting together such a group here but it's dead on with the things I'm regularly mulling about in my little head. I look forward to reading any tidbits from the meetings that make it into some postings.
Sounds like a great group to get together. I am certainly familiar with many of those challenges! Please be sure to post again with more results from your group meetings!
Post a Comment