Wednesday, June 28, 2006

LLRX.com - The Tao of Law Librarianship - The Truth About Blogging

I'm happy to report my latest column on LLRX.com, The Truth About Blogging was published a few days ago. I've veered away from the interview type article on this one, drawing from my own observations. I figure if it is labelled a "column" that I can editorialize a little rather than backing up all facts with a quote or reference.

Future columns I am considering are in the areas of change management (which I haven't yet addressed) and knowledge management (which I have). If you have other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I had a request a while back to interview library directors in various organizations to find out how they got to where they are. I think that is a fabulous idea and am still working out how best to accomplish that. If you are library director who would like to be interviewed, or would like to suggest someone, do let me know. You can reach me at connieblog@sympatico.ca .

Thanks go to Sabrina Pacifici for editing and posting all the content in LLRX single-handedly, especially when she is always extremely busy! She is a pleasure to work with. I know she would love to receive some feedback, especially any positive vibes. And if you have a presentation, favourite blog post, or article you have written which you would like to submit, I encourage you to contact one of us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how can i start a blog if i can't even get a comment to post?

anyway, i thought your article was very insightful, so thanks! As a budding young attorney, I'm considering blogging as a networking tool, although I'm concerced my "true voice" isn't necessarily music to potential clients' ears. oh well, should be fun.

Connie Crosby said...

Hi thomas:

Well, thanks for sticking with it and actually getting a comment to work!

I guess when I say "true voice" there are some caveats. You still want to sound professional and keep in mind all those people who will be reading your blog: your clients, possible future clients, your co-workers, competing colleagues, your parents....

A "true voice" would be as opposed to corporate speak wherein you might even get someone to ghost write for you....we get enough copy writing on corporate/law firm websites.

The blog is a way to humanize your public image, and engage people in a conversation around issues significant to your practice thereby hopefully showing you know something about which you speak. In this way you would distinguish your practice from that of others.

It doesn't mean that you show the same self that perhaps goes out with yer drinkin' buddies. Well, at least clean up the language a bit. 8-)

Cheers,
Connie

Jocelyn said...

I'm looking forward to the article on Directors. Let us know when and where it's published!