Friday, January 11, 2008

Good-bye Job, Hello Leisure Girl?

The rumours you may have heard are true--I have now left my position as library manager at my law firm.

The decision was not easy. Nor was leaving, which is why I have not blogged about it here up until now. As with anything, there is no one reason why I made this decision. But probably the biggest was that I had been in the same position for 10 years (almost 19 years in law firm libraries all together!) and needed a change. Other interesting-sounding positions have come and gone, but there were just none that completely suited me. What to do?

As with other things I seem to have done as of late, I decided to make my own path. Or--more like my style--follow in the footsteps of a few daring people who have gone before me. I am trying my hand at the wilds of self-employment. First up will be developing more courses for the Professional Learning Centre at the Faculty of Information Studies at the University of Toronto. Next will be finding a way to take my existing survey course and "kick it up a notch." I have been accepting other offers to teach as well. In addition to this, I will be looking for consulting work. I have one or two things in the wings already. Exciting times ahead.

My plan is to sleep--3 weeks or 3 months, we'll see how long it take to decompress!--then to work on something of a business plan to focus things down a bit. Really, my interests are quite varied so it will be a challenge to find a focus. Ultimately, I am hoping for variety of experience to both keep me interested and help develop my skills so I can help all of you in your projects.

Tonight I was out with friends to celebrate "no more workin' for da MAN!" when a fellow at the next table started talking to us. He told me he had taken 2 years (!) off from work to lead a life of leisure. His advice to me is to lunch often with friends, and do drinks Friday evenings (after the massage, of course) to stay connected but also make everyone so very jealous. Apparently he gained the well-deserved nickname "Leisure Boy" during that time period. And he dared me to carry the torch with the persona of "Leisure Girl".

Perhaps I will become Leisure Girl for a time, but to be very honest I get bored easily. Which is why I always seem to be doing so many things. Much as I love vegging in front of the TV, I usually have macbook on my lap at the same time or at least a sudoku on the go while watching.

Now, the side benefit of the new life of Leisure Girl is that I should have a little more time to write on this blog and maybe--after 4 years--take it in something of a new direction. I have lots of ideas forming in that regard, most in the area of redesigning the look, but we'll see.

I see this as entering a new era of learning and creativity. These are things that are constantly with me, and it is nice to have the luxury to finally give them room to breathe and develop in their own right after so many years of office work.

I am going to miss my firm terribly (it will always be "my firm" I think, just as articling students who I have taught will always be "my students"). It really has been my main home all these years. I honestly think they are entering an exciting new phase in their development, and I will be one of the firm's biggest fans. I'm also hoping to drop by the office now and then, to make sure they are still working hard and to perhaps make them a wee bit jealous. In the fine new tradition of Leisure Girl, of course!

Cheers,
Connie

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Enjoy the celebrating and the leisure time! Much needed no doubt. I took about 3 months off after I left my 'day' job. And slowly ramped back up to way more than full time over the next year or so. Best decision I ever made. I know it will go well for you and bring great satisfaction too.

lo-fi librarian said...

Sounds good! Have the most fun.
lo-fi

Rohan Jayasekera said...

The next thing is to change your blog's tagline to "Blog by Canadian Leisure Girl / Info Diva".

Then you can create a new course on "Using wikis to organize your career change".

privacylawyer said...

Enjoy being a woman of leisure! I hope you enjoy recharging your batteries and then embark on the next stage of your adventure with the same passion you've shown in your blog.

Dave Fleet said...

Congratulations Connie!

Sameer Vasta said...

Congratulations Connie! Now that you've got some time on your hands, perhaps we can do lunch? =)

Anna Farmery said...

Congratulations on making the decision, I remember how hard it was for me...what I can tell you is that I have never, ever regretted it. I had never realised how much working for someone hinders your creativity..being able to try things, explore, experiment is fantastic. So good luck and enjoy...

Meg said...

Ooooo! Congrats on the big change!

Steve Matthews said...

I'm not buying this 'leisure' thing for a moment. Let's get talking projects! :)

I'm glad you picked me to be hotlinked to the word 'daring'. That's so cool!

Congrats on making the big jump Connie! Change is challenging & rewarding. You'll do well. I'm sure of it.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Connie!

I know the decision was a tough one and knowing you, it will be a very rewarding decision in the end. You're already on a wonderful path.

BTW, Rohan's suggestions rock!

Connie Crosby said...

What a great group of friends! You are awesome. I definitely would not be making this leap with out all of your support and the support of many, many others.

No one--not even my mother--has told me I shouldn't be making this change. With this giant village looking out for me, I feel I will really be okay.

Steve is right, I probably won't be relaxing much, but anything I do for the next while will be voluntary. And there is a huge difference.

Vasta, lunch would be great. Gotta maintain that Leisure Girl image! ;-)

And you can just see the gleam in Steve's eye, that there is a potential new partner-in-crime on the scene.

Namaste.

Michel-Adrien said...

From Library Boy to Leisure Girl: Enjoy the New Life!

James Milles said...

Congratulations, Connie! Treat your upcoming "leisure time" as a well-earned and much-needed sabbatical. You'll be free of the daily law firm stuff for the first time, and able to really think about and work on what you really want to do. I can't wait to see what's next!

Anonymous said...

At risk of sounding like Oprah, the only words that come to mind are "You go, girl!"

Take the time you need to decompress, write and think. Enjoy yourself!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Connie! Best wishes from out West!

Michelle McLean said...

Congratulations Connie and good luck. Sometimes you have to take a risk, but I know you will do well in whatever you do, so its worth it.

Dan Michaluk said...

Congrats Connie!!! As I've said before, you are an inspiration. I'm a big supporter and wish you all the best!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Connie :)

Greg Schwartz said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and best of luck on your new adventure!

Unknown said...

Way to go Leisure Girl!

Connie Crosby said...

Thanks so much, everyone. I am hearing from so many supportive people. I thank you for your vote of confidence. This is just amazing!

Cheers,
Connie

Marian said...

Congratulations Connie! I admire you for following your interests and making such a brave decision. Best of all, I look forward to being able to partake in a few of the interesting courses you are bound to create!

Rob said...

Congratulations Connie, and best of luck! (not that you'll need it!)

Rob

Connie Crosby said...

Rob and Marian,

Thank you so much!

And so far so good--I am enjoying having the time to do a little more of what I enjoy and hopefully turning it into something we can all use.

Cheers,
Connie