Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Book Buying Moratorium For the Soul

I've had to put my foot down...with myself. No more book buying! That is, no buying books in case someone might want them. We are still trying to process everything that I ordered last November. I'm now limiting myself, with perhaps a few exceptions, to new editions and books requested by others in the firm. And loose leaf I am only purchasing in extreme cases since we are having a time keeping up with all those filings. Unfortunately I won't get that same "kick" I get when someone asks for something and we already have it, but so be it.

I felt kind of bad (well, maybe not really) when a publisher rep called me up today asking to drop by and have me order all the great new things coming out in the next quarter. I declined, saying I would just order things one at a time as we need them.

But, this seemed to be a good step towards getting my office and my workflow back into order. Instead of a 90 minute meeting in which I order things which will come and clog up my office in 3 weeks time (not to mention invoices), I now have 90 minutes towards clearing up some of this backlog.

It's a good thing. Right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for being strong. It's certainly tough love, but you will thank yourself for it when you get the backlog processed and you are ready to go again!

Jocelyn said...

That's a good plan, your budget will thank you.

(Maybe you can use some of the new found budget money to hire a filer to help out with the backlog?)