Janie Hermann & Robert Keith, Princeton
Gadget garage - iPods, gadgets - can lend out or use to teach in classes [cool name and idea!]
email, Internet, search engines, online catalogue. You can do more! Even a small library without a big budget behind you.
First: get the word out. You want your technology librarians/staff as the tech gurus.
Databytes - each librarian for a month give a daily update on one topic. Teaching distributed around the department. Originally was meant to train the staff, but the public asked to join in so they have included them now.
- e.g. "Tuesday Technology Talks" - one on Firefox was "hot" -
- Fun with Flickr poster is cool, brought in a lot of people - what your staff needs to know about Flickr is what the public needs to know about Flickr.
Text editing freebies:
- Google Docs
- Tadalists - make "to do" lists
- Cozi Central - organize your entire family - shared family calendar, shopping lists, photo collages
- Google Calendar
Photos and video freebies:
- LogMeIn - give someone tech support remotely
- CCleaner - cleans out garbage e.g. temporary files; resolves issues
- The GIMP
You build up your user base; keep teaching, adding in, give classes catchy names e.g. "What's the Fuss about RSS"; "Become a Blogger". Doing a podcast project (last summer was a wiki - Booklover's Wiki"). How to create and post free podcasts.
Matt Gullett & Robin Bryan, Public Library of Charlotte and Macklenburg County
Tech freebies - promoting to teens
"Kids are snacking on media and they want to be a part of creating that snack."
You can use what you already have. Excel, Powerpoint - most of us have some sort of office suite on our machines. You can do some innovative programming with what you already have.
- Tux Paint
- Architect Studio 3D
- Google SketchUp
- Youth Digital Arts Cyber School - create lessons around inexpensive applications
- Fraps - purchase program - similar to Wink in that it is a screen capture program
- ACID Music Studio
- I Can Animate (Stop Motion Pro)
Jewel in the crown is Studio i - video music and animation - blue screen wall, three stations (live action, 3D animation, music creation. Came up with idea of portable imagination station:
- Stop Motion Pro
- Pinnacle Studio - editing software
- Sony Acid Music Studio
- GarageBand (Mac)
- Final Cut Studio (Mac)