Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Look at the Free Software and Open Source Movements

Joel Alleyne has just posted his Extreme Tech column for Slaw: Why You Should Take a Look at the Free / Open Source Software Movement. While I support the Open Source movement in principle, I have to admit not being personally involved and not knowing a lot about it. I do use (and love) both Firefox and Wordpress, so have to admit having personally benefited from the movement. I guess I have thought of it more as a coder/developer type of concept.



Adding to my "to do" list: exploring the links in Joel's post, trying some of these things out for myself. I have considered loading Linux on an old laptop. Maybe I should try Ubuntu? I know a number of others who have.

Photo source: Linux.org website

4 comments:

n8k99 said...

I encourage you to try Ubuntu, it is quite nice!

Connie Crosby said...

Thanks for your encouragement, n8!

lo-fi librarian said...

I am totally in love with Ubuntu, so much so that I went from a dual boot to ditching Windows completely. I've also experimented with a number of other Linux OSs, including Puppy, which you can run off a usb key! Much love for Linux.

Connie Crosby said...

Cool, lo-fi! You realize I will be calling on you if I really try this....

;-)

Cheers,
Connie