Monday, July 10, 2006

AALL 2006 - Today's highlights

Still working from le pda, so this will be brief. Best of Monday:

- A public speaking session set up like a Toastmasters (TM) meeting, convincing us on the importance of improving our public speaking skills

- John Mayer and Jim Milles speaking on podcasting

- Blogger meetup which I've just left. I've finally met Matthew Homann, Dennis Kennedy, and Bonnie Shucha. I completely forgot to take photos, but hopefully Tom and Jim will make them available. (Sorry for the name dropping, but these people are celebs in my little world so it is exciting! Steve Matthews is probably cursing my name. Steve, I told everyone at the meeting to read your blog the Vancouver Law Librarian!!)

Throughout the last couple of days it has also been a thrill to have a few people tell me they are fans of Slaw, my column on LLRX, and/or my clips on Check This Out!

Some random thoughts:
- what about Toastmasters (TM) for podcasters / video bloggers?
- I should do an LLRX column on the ethics of blogging publicly for librarians in law firms.
- I'd like to explore ways for those who feel isolated to get support from the larger comminity. I think Canadians are good at these being generally spread out geographically.
- someone needs to write about research lawyers since it seems to be a Canadian phenomenon.

Well, that's it for now. I'm late for the West party!

Cheers,
Connie

[July 13, 2006: spelling corrected on names. - CC]

6 comments:

Steve Matthews said...

Thanks Connie, enjoy the moment. :-) Even if I make it to AALL next year, those St.Louis bloggers won't likely be around. Cool to be you!

Steve Matthews said...

And, say hi to Jim & Betsy for me!

Heather said...

Sounds like you're having a blast, Connie! Good on you! I must say yes, abso-bloomin-lutely! An article about the ethics of blogging publicly for librarians in law firms would be an excellent topic. How soon can you get that done? Would Friday be too soon for you?

Connie Crosby said...

It was great to meet all these people. The blogger meetup was definitely one of the highlights.

Steve, alas! I did not see Betsy there.

Heather, I was thinking of it as a future LLRX column. How would mid-August be? 8-)

Barbara Fullerton said...

Connie,
Thanks for the write-up on the informal bloggers' meeting! We had a wonderful turnout and it was great to meet everyone. Watch for next year's meeting!

Connie Crosby said...

Thanks so much for organizing us, Barbara, and for bringing out the "celebrities"! 8-)

Cheers,
Connie