Finally I took matters into my own hand and read through the "Error" message that was coming up. It was actually a bit of a trouble-shooting guide, and I worked my way through the list of suggested fixes. I was getting down to the last one and doubtful, but *voila!* it worked.
So, if you similarly are trying to sign on to Lexis.com but are only coming up with error messages, and are using Internet Explorer (I'm on some recent incarnation of 6.0) try this:
-> Select Tools
-> Internet Options
-> Scroll down to "Security" and make sure all of these are checked off:
- Use SSL 2.0
- Use SSL 3.0
- Use TLS 1.0
For me, "Use SSL 3.0" was not checked off. As soon as I did this I was magically able to sign on.
I hope this post is useful to someone! If it is, I encourage you to post a comment or send me an email.